Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Black Bean and Spinach Enchiladas

A friend made this for me after I delivered Truman. Yummmmm!

Black Bean and Spinach Enchiladas

1 Pound Fresh Spinach Leaves (Yes, really that much. I buy the Sam's Club Box Size!)
2 Cans Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 Cup-ish Salsa
Cumin
Chili Powder
Whole Wheat Tortillas
Sour Cream
Lime Juice
Shredded Cheese (Optional)
Chopped Tomatoes
Sliced Green Onions

Preheat oven to 350.
Wilt Spinach in large pot with a tinsy bit of water. Drain and chop coarsely. Return to pot and mix in beans, salsa, and spices (according to how spicy you like it!). Warm through. Divide among tortillas and roll up. Place in prepared pan side by side. Bake uncovered 15 min. Combine sour cream and lime juice . Spread over enchiladas. Top with cheese, tomatoes and onions. Bake an additional 5 more minutes. Serve!

Ashlee Notes:

I didn't put the amount of tortillas because it very much depends on how full you fill them. Mine usually fits into one 9x13 pan. So... I would say plan on at least 8 tortillas, but it could be more if you like. As far as the sour cream/lime juice ratio (I admit, sour cream and a few other ingredients have found their way back into our lives) I would say that I did probably 1/2-3/4 cups with about 2 tablespoons lime juice. It was so yummy! If you wanted to make it totally vegan, I would skip the sour cream and cheese, but be sure to sprinkle lime juice on them still! It adds a really nice flavor.

My whole family really likes this one. Hope you do too!

4 comments:

  1. These sound so dang good. I am adding them to our recipe Que. Also, the lime juice sprinkled on them sounds delightful. We are huge fans of limes at our house. and...we will also be eating them with sour cream and cheese (although it will not be as much as we used to eat them with) :D We just aren't quite there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also...thanks everyone for all your posts, I have been so very absent around here, but I have loved coming to get new recipes. Maybe I should pitch in once in a while, and not just come to partake...I'll try to do better :D Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! When I saw Whit's comment I wanted to say something... we finally found a whole wheat tortilla that we actually LIKE. It's the Ortega Brand. They don't put it by the normal tortillas at our Walmart/Grocery stores. They put it in the Mexican isle by the other Ortega products. Hope you like these Whit! I thought of you when we ate it because don't you make a lime sour cream like this for fish tacos?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ash,
    We had this for dinner on Wednesday night and loved it. I actually made it for Cal to serve while I went out with my old presidency to dinner and I came home to rave reviews. He said Ada ate hers right up and he had a couple himself. I had a quick taste as they were coming out of the oven right as I was leaving and I am a fan too! Huzzah, I am so excited about recipes that will get greens into Ada's tummy, and this one was a winner! Thanks!! :D

    ReplyDelete