Thursday, June 24, 2010

Burton Breakfast Hash

Hey guys! It's MEEEEEE blogging from my HOOOOMMMEEE! I wasn't without the internet that long but it sure felt like it. I will not normally be posting during the day, I will save the computer for when the boys go down at night, but I couldn't resist doing one tinsy post before I head off to work, just for the pure joy of POSTING again.

This particular recipe (an Ashlee Original) is dedicated to Katie:

Burton Breakfast Hash - serves all 4 in my family with a little leftover

4 medium russet potatoes
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/3-1/2 cup onion, chopped finely
4 tablespoons minced garlic
1 bell pepper, diced
2 eggs
Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained

Wash, dry, and chop potatoes (skins on) into small cubes. Rinse and pat dry with towel. Spread on microwave safe plate and microwave for 8 minutes until they are just fork tender stirring once during cooking to ensure the guys in the middle get cooked as much as the guys on the outside. (they will cook more later so don't get them ALL the way done).

Meanwhile, heat half of the oil in a large nonstick pan on med heat. Add onions and cook till soft. Add garlic and cook 1 min. till fragrant. Add bell pepper and cook 2-3 min more. Break eggs over the veggies and scramble. Remove from pan and set aside.

Heat remaining oil over med to med-high heat. Turn pan to coat with oil. Add potatoes when they are done in the microwave. Fry potatoes in pan stirring occasionally to brown all sides of the potatoes. Season with Salt and Pepper. When potatoes are done frying add the set aside egg/veggie mixture and black beans. Heat through.

Serve with:
Salsa
Sour Cream
Hot Sauce
Barbeque Sauce

Aly and I do a dollup of SCream and Salsa, Jack does strictly BBQ Sauce, and Corey does HSauce and Salsa.

We love this for breakfast and occasionally have it for dinner. Yumm!

4 comments:

  1. yeah, yeah yeah!!! Three cheers for the internet!!!!!!!!!!!! I came on here totally expecting to just comment on Katie's awesome post and then add another of my own, and I about died when I saw that you already have the internet today!!! I can't wait to get posts from Illinois again!! I have been dying and although it has not been that long, it really, REALLY has!!!

    Whoot Whoot for us to have Ash back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and I am going to totally try this. We love potatoe and egg goodness over here, in fact, we have had something sort of like this once this week and once two weeks ago, so I can't wait to add this to our recipes! Thanks Ash!! (I am seriouis about the crying part when I saw your post! I have been missing you on the interwebs!) (is that even a word??? Interwebs?!! Ha ha ha!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, first of all I have to say, I feel honored to have this post dedicated to me. Second, and more importantly I LOVE that you are back! A lot. Missed you.

    And I think it's so cute that you all eat this so differently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was Fantaaaaasstiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccc! Rave reviews! Cory immediately went over and put the leftovers in a tupperware so he could take them to work for lunch tomorrow. I did pinto beans instead of black because that's all I have in the house, and I also chopped up a bunch of fresh spinach and put it in in the last stage, which made it very pretty with the green, I gotta say (and it tasted good too!). Cory put A1 on it, and Jocelyn did Ketchup. I did both :) This was the closest to a big hearty meaty (meatless!) meal we have had since making lifestyle changes and Cory appreciated it!

    ReplyDelete