Thursday, October 28, 2010

An Alternative Snobby Joe

Hey guys! Emily already posted a really yummy snobby joe recipe that uses lentils. I wanted to give you the one we use which uses black beans. I just basically stole Rachel Ray's sauce (and changed a couple of ingredients) and then substituted beans for meat. This is a family favorite at our house:

Ashlee's Snobby Joes

1 tablespoon olive oil
A few slices of onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped (red is best... green will do)
1 tablespoon-ish mustard (I just give it a good squeeze)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons (I like less) steak seasoning blend (we use McCormick Montreal)
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained

Heat oil. Saute onion and pepper. Add all other ingredients and simmer for a few minutes.

Eat on Buns with:

Pickle Slices
Tomato Slices
Barbeque Sauce

Yumm.

Random thought: I recently switched from packaged, pre-chopped garlic to fresh. I am loving my new life. Do any of you have an opinion on that?

Random thought #2: I don't think I'm going to the trouble of adding color etc. on my posts anymore. I'm boring.

3 comments:

  1. This looks DELISH!!! I will definitely try this. I can't believe that I wouldn't have thought to use black beans....I think Brandon will have an easier time with that. ;)

    As for the garlic....I'm afraid of fresh! Am I the silliest ever? I don't have a clue what to do with a fresh garlic clove. Maybe you could give me a tutorial Ash.

    And I'm glad we can drop the color thing now. I was really overwhelmed by figuring that out. I know it seems easy, but I always had something go wrong with it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garlic tutorial:

    Buy bulb.

    Remove one clove at a time as you use it. It pops off pretty easily in it's paper-like shelling.

    Take off the papery stuff first that just easily comes off.

    Now look at your two ends of the clove. One has a pointy end, the other is flat. I get the best result when I cut the tip of the FLAT part. Then I peel the rest of the covering off.

    Vuala! A garlic clove. You can chop, press, slice, etc. etc. etc. And there is none of the add ins/perservatives etc.

    Would you like to know how to make the best darn garlic bread in the world?!? And I do mean the WORLD?!? I think I should make that one a full post though. Maybe later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are having these this week, and I also have a plan for a spinach and mushroom pasta bake, I would love your best darn garlic bread recipe to use with that. Will you please share? much love! :D

    ReplyDelete