Monday, January 24, 2011

Flaky Vegetable Pot Pie

This is from The Vegatarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook

1 potato diced (I used one sweet potato and one Russet Potato)
Diced Onion
Diced Carrots
Frozen Peas (thawed)
Broccoli
[and any other veggies you want to include, this is a good recipe to use whatever you have in your fridge.]

Crust
I have a crust recipe, but it was much easier for me to use pre-made pie crust, so thats what I did.  If you don't have a good pie crust recipe, and want one, I have a tried and true one that is quite easy.

Preheat oven to 350*, lightly oil a casserole dish.

[Cook filling, I just steamed my veggies and softened my potatoes.  Don't steam all the way since they will be cooking quite a bit in the oven.  I just wanted to make sure that they would get done all the way, so I steamed them a bit before hand.  I bet it would work just putting them in raw too though, hmmmm, maybe I should have tried that before I posted this!  :D]

place filling inside pie crust, fold over and press edges with a fork.  Also press top of the pie crust with the fork too, to allow air to vent through.

Bake until heated through and the crust is browned.  40 - 45 mins

[If you want to use the least amount of pie crust possible, you can put in bake-able bowls and just cover the top with the pie crust.]

We really liked this.  It is a nice home-style recipe and it is nice to just throw in any veggies that you have that need to be used as well.  It's very versatile.

2 comments:

  1. Do you add any kind of sauce with it? I am going to try and make this this week actually... and I was thinking maybe a thickened veggie broth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whit, we had this for dinner last night :) I made a little gravy for the veggies... I sauteed garlic and onion and one stalk of celery- all minced- in a bit of olive oil then added veg broth. I boiled that for a few and seasoned with salt, pepper and sage... thickened with cornstarch. I mixed the veggies into that before baking. We also put sweet potatoes and corn in. My husband really liked it a lot especially. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete