Monday, May 10, 2010

Tyler's Mahi Mahi and Guacamole Salad

Yesterday we went to Ed and Cindy's (Corey's Parents) for dinner. It was delish! Absolutely delicious, and from the event I got two recipes I wanted to share with ya'll.

The first one is not technically a recipe because Corey's brother just kind of made it up on the fly... but I called him later that night and said... 'okay I don't care if you don't know perfectly what you did, you still have to try and tell me because it was SOOOO good!' which thankfully he obliged and told me.

The second recipe is totally healthy, totally scrumptious, totally eat to live, and comes from the most unlikely of sources. Ina Garten... aka the Barefoot Contessa... from the Food Network makes the best food on the planet. Hands down. Her stuff is guaranteed delicious, but it is usually insanely indulgent and bad for you. When Cindy told me where she got this particular recipe I was like 'Whaaaaat?' She's worse than Paula Deen usually! But this one is totally healthy and still manages to taste as good as a Barefoot Contessa recipe should taste! Wonderful!

That's enough chatty, chatty though. Here's the recipes:

Tyler's Mahi Mahi

Olive Oil
Fresh chopped Garlic
1/2 red onion, sliced and ringed
1 Orange, juiced and the rest chopped
Lime Juice
Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
Fresh chopped Cilantro
Mahi Mahi fillets

Comine the oil, garlic, onion, orange juice, lime, and spices to make marinade. Marinate the Mahi Mahi in it for a couple of hours. Then grill.

Simple and delish. He did it outside... we'll have to settle for George Forman when we make it here. It was seriously SO good. It was the first fish that I didn't feel like I needed to dip in something to make it taste good. Kate- I know you wanted to try fish- Mahi Mahi is a great one in my opinion. It handles more like chicken, and it even tastes more-- meaty than fishy. Whit would you agree?

Guacamole Salad (please try this... I have several recipes that are similar, but to me this was the best!)

1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup small diced red onion
2 tablespoons minced jalepeno peppers (about 2 small peppers)
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
1/4 cup freshly sqeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 ripe avacados diced

Place tomatoes, bell pepper, black beans, onion, jalepeno, and lime zest in bowl. Whisk together lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and cayenne. Pour over veggies and toss well. Just before serving fold in avacados. Serve at room temp.

This was such a fabulous side dish, and even though it's supposed to be eaten right away, I have been snacking on leftovers of it, and it has held up just fine. For the original recipe click HERE.

Love you ladies! Have a good night!

4 comments:

  1. yum! yum! yum! we are definitely going to try this, especially since all the ingredients are staples at our house! im excited! thanks for the recipes ash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had this with Salmon the other night, on sandwiches, it was very, very tasty. I loved that I prepped it early in the day and then cooked it right before Cal got home. We had ours with oven fries and on buns. It was all very good. Thank Tyler from us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although, I will say also that I can't wait to try it with the Mahi Mahi, I love white fish and I am just STILL trying to get used to Salmon. STILL. :D

    ReplyDelete