Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Egg Salad Sandwich-Healthified

I don't know how many of you are doing eggs anymore, so I don't know how relevant this will be to any of you.  Even if you don't do eggs anymore, I thought I'd share this neat tip that I learned from Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious.  We are doing homegrown from a lady down the street, periodically in our diet, although we don't have them too often anymore, and I never use them in baking anymore... super excited to try Ashlee's fake egg trick with the flax seed!

When I was growing up Egg Salad Sandwich was just eggs and mayo and a few spices...not much nutritionally.  I had some eggs leftover from Easter and wanted to make a better Egg Salad Sandwich with more veggies. So I chopped up some celery, olives, and pickles to add to the egg mixture.

This is the tip from DD:  cauliflower puree is such a great way to make any kind of white sauce and it hides really well.  So I mixed up the egg and veggies and then put in 1/2 cup cauliflower puree (I just keep it in 1/2 cup quantities in the freezer for convenience) and then only enough mayo to make it the right consistency.  I really only used about 2 Tbsp. of mayo, compared to 1/3 cup (ish) that I would have used before.  Then I also added some of "Aunt Grace's Mustard".

 It is pretty much THE BEST homemade mustard you've ever tasted and it is a family recipe that I would tell you the recipe, but then I'd have to kill you...just joking.  but not.  Anywho... I also put in some Mrs. Dash and Paprika and served on homemade wheat bread.

Cauliflower helps to make a good "cream-based" soup or to make anything seem creamier without using any dairy.  In DD, she uses it in her Mac 'n Cheese (which we don't do anymore because of the cheese, but it was my favorite mac 'n cheese recipe, pre-ETL and pre-DPYC).  I made a ton of cauliflower puree last summer thinking that it would last me forever, but I throw it in a lot of things so I've gone through it pretty fast. She also uses Carrot and Butternut Squash puree a lot.  There's a good ketchup recipe that has carrot puree in it as well.  DD is not necessarily a healthy cookbook, but it does show you how you can use more veggies than you would have thought, and I've learned some little tips and tricks from it that I've been able to use in other recipes.

P.S. Just watched Food, Inc.  Very disturbing.  It just backs up everything I've read, but coming from a new voice it made it fresh again.  1 in 3 kids born after 2000 will have early onset diabetes?!?!?!?!?! That is insane.  Cheers to you wonderful ladies making the world healthier for you and your families!!  Thanks for the inspiration you provide me with to keep going!

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm. do share the cauliflower puree technique.

    Also, what's so bad about eggs? They are a great source of omega 3's, especially if farm fresh. I've been getting mine from my sister's neighbor. Taste SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I've did flax and water as an egg replacement in my muffins a few weeks ago, worked amazingly well. Anybody know how it works in cookies and other baked goods?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what I loved about Food, Inc.? I love how it showed not only the problems with health in our country, but also how it exposed the evil motives that drive what is happening. Disturbing. Not only is there cruelty to animals but how about cruelty to humans? All those poor Mexican workers for example. Sad.

    I used to own Jesssica's book! I think I gave it to you Emily... did I? Anywho. I really liked some of the tips in it too. I thought pureed sweet potatoes were a LOVELY addition to a veggie soup. Gave it that hint of sweet. Yummmmm. Although, Corey will never let me forget about all the failed dessert recipes from that book. His favorite to tell people about is the time I put chickpeas in chocolate chip cookies. I thought they tasted fine...

    ReplyDelete