Monday, June 13, 2011

Barley and Veggie Soup

This comes from my cousin, Jamie's friend.  I wanted to post it so I could find it again easily.  This one is a keeper!  Jamie served it to me for lunch the other day and I loved it, so I had to make it again for dinner tonight.  Both Jamie and I did not add the milk at the end and it was still deelish.  

Barley & Veggie Soup

2 TBSP butter
1 large onion
½ Cup oat flour
4 Cup chicken stock
3 cloves garlic, minced
4-6 carrots, diced
½ large cauliflower, diced
1 head broccoli, diced
1 Cup water
1 Cup barley (soaked overnight)
1 tsp  basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
½ cup milk

Saute butter & onion in pan. Add flour and stir until it browns up. Slowly add 2 cups chicken stock while stirring. Allow to thicken before adding additional cups of stock. Add remaining vegetables, soaked barley, & spices. Simmer on low for 15-40 minutes (gets better with time). Stir in ½ cup milk about 10 minutes before you are ready to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment