Monday, February 1, 2010

Vegetable Lasagna

Okay ladies....I found this recipe already posted on my blog, so I copied and pasted to here!
Even though we've been TV-less for about three years now, I can't help but chuckle and think of Seinfeld whenever I hear the words "vegetable lasagna". If you don't know what I'm talking about....sorry, it was one of those, you had to see it to think it was funny kind of things. Anyway, sorry for the horrible picture, but it does give some idea of what this dish looks like. This recipe comes from my sister, Rikki. Her version was for stuffed shells, (you know, the jumbo shells that are sea-shell shaped?) but my family likes it better as a lasagna. Enjoy it however you like best! Tip: If anyone you're cooking for is weirded out by veggies, chop them very small.
2 c. chopped fresh broccoli
1 small onion, chopped
2 med zucchini, chopped
1/2 c. carrots, chopped
Saute the above in a bit of olive oil. Oh, and add a sprinkle of salt and a few grinds of pepper if you like.

In a separate bowl, combine:
1 lb. ricotta cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 c. mozzarella cheese
1/4 c. parmesan cheese
3 T. basil

Lightly grease a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Combine the veggies with the cheese mixture. Assemble your lasagna by spreading a layer of your favorite spaghetti sauce in the bottom of the pan. Then add a layer of lasagne noodles. Spread a thin layer of the cheese mixture, then repeat sauce, noodles, cheese until you've used all ingredients and the pan is filled, (I usually do three layers). Top with more cheese, (mozzarella, parmesan, whatever you have left) and cover with foil. Bake according to the directions of whatever noodles you've bought. For me this is usually about an hour at 375 degrees.

This dish is great, because you can prepare it ahead of time and then just stick it in the oven when you're ready. Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment