Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Avocado Tortilla Soup

This lovely recipe comes to you courtesy of my Vitamix cookbook. :) Not everyone in my family will vouch for it's deliciousness, but not everyone in my family likes cilantro. Paige, Parker and I enjoyed this, Brandon and Andrew ate it, but didn't love it.

Avocado Tortilla Soup
2 c broth
5 Roma tomatoes
1/3 bunch cilantro
1 garlic clove
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 avocado, peeled and pitted
1/2 lime, peeled
1/2 c canned black beans, drained
1/2 c corn

Now, if you're lucky enough to have a vitamix, you put everything but the beans and corn in the blender, and mix it until it steams through the lid, (about 5 minutes....how cool is that?! Dinner in 5 minutes!) Then you turn down the speed, toss in the beans and corn for 20 seconds, and serve with tortilla chips. I suppose without one, you would cook everything first then process it until smooth, toss it back in the pot and add the corn and beans. I doubled this recipe for our family, but still ended up with a bowl or two leftover. I also didn't have tons of fresh tomatoes, so the second batch was a can of diced tomatoes. Knowing that my family doesn't love cilantro, I maybe used 1/3 of a bunch total, and after tasting the first half of the batch, didn't add in more lime. Enjoy it how you like.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to try this... I have been searching and searching for a good tortilla soup recipe. I made one this week that had promise, but was just kind of -- ehhh. Nothing too exciting. I'll let you know what we think after we make it!

    ReplyDelete