Saturday, April 2, 2011

Happy Shakes!!

Remember the Happy Shakes I told you about?  We got our package in the mail of all sorts of goodies so that we could make them.  I can't tell you how excited I was to receive this:


I got the Raw Greens powder from our Doctor's office, but the rest was from that site I emailed you about.  The little Orange packages are the sample packs for $2.50 so we could try them out before spending close to $20/pound for each.  We got samples of Maca Powder, Cacao Nibs, and dried Goji berries, and a pound each of cacao powder and bee pollen.

The final result didn't disappoint, either.  It's like chocolate soft serve ice cream with 4 cups of spinach, raw greens powder, maca powder, cacao powder, coconut oil, I put 4 kinds of frozen fruit in (peaches, raspberries, blueberries and bananas), and topped with bee pollen and cacao nibs.  I know it sounds cheesy, but it really does make me happy :).  We've been having this for breakfast every morning.  Even Jocelyn loves it!

Question for Emily or anyone else:  What do you think about giving Maca Powder and other superfoods to kids?  I have only read the beginning of "Superfoods" by David Wolfe and I've just done some internet research.  I'll still do my own research, but I wanted to know what you thought.  Some people think you shouldn't give it to kids, but there's no hormones in it, it just helps your body regulate hormones better, so I don't see what the harm is, but maybe I'm ignorant?

I started thinking about it, though, because she had a lot of my Happy Shake yesterday and she was an energizer bunny all day long.  I mean, she didn't even have any dips in energy, or tired moments all day long, to say nothing of not taking a nap.  Maybe it was something else, but I thought there might be a correlation and I got to wondering.

3 comments:

  1. I have to say that I don't know much about superfoods yet, but I think that if kids can have as much energy as they do on a crappy diet, just think how they'd feel on a super-nutritional diet. I know I have more energy when eating better, it makes sense that she would be bouncing off the walls!

    By the way, this looks great! I haven't tried a lot of the really expensive stuff yet....jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy! I have all of these things. I order them on the site I posted. I have some really good recipes for these things. I will have to post them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids eat super foods. Just like you they need to ease into it. I think it is one things when your body stats to detox and when a child's body goes through a detox.

    When I started to eat super foods I went through a three week detox. The first week I felt like I was on drugs. I had to much energy and had constant butterflies in my stomach. The next week I was so sleepy.I was in bed by 8:30 pm and could hardly exercise. The next week I was super emotional and had a headache.

    Every now and then I go through a one or two day detox. It will just happen and I am now aware of it. Usually it is not as crazy as my three week detox. I did not even know what was going on until it was almost over. I will have to use the bathroom a lot and I feel extra emoitional but it is nothing bad. I know what is going on with my body so it is great. Your body needs a detox.

    My kids eat super foods every day. I make chocolate all the time (made only from super foods), raw cookies and smoothies that are packed with super foods and they are just fine. Their poop is some times a little different when they eat a lot of super foods but that is due to internal cleaning. I love it!!!

    Does this answer your question?

    Good luck and enjoy your new health:)

    ReplyDelete