Thursday, April 7, 2011

Shepard's Pie

Shay, I thought your meat and potato man might like this. I got the original recipe from Betty Crocker's Easy Everyday Vegetarian which I checked out of the library this week. I tweaked it, and thought it was better :) So that's what I'm posting :)
Easy Shepard's Pie


2 cups chunky salsa

1 cup frozen corn

1 cup frozen green beans
(not in original recipe)
1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
(about 1 1/2 cups)
1 can pinto or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
(original recipe calls for 2 cans kidney beans... I used pinto because it's what I had, but will stick with it I think)
Mashed Potatoes
(I had one large russet potato with about 6 small/med red potatoes- I peeled the russet but left skins on for the red. Boiled till tender, mashed with small amount of trans fat free margarine, rice milk, and smidge of salt and pepper- the original recipe calls for boxed potatoes- yuck! I love the taste of the slightly sweeter red potatoes, and I left the skins on for the added nutrition)

In a covered skillet cook salsa, corn, green beans, carrot and beans until carrots are tender stirring occasionally. (I added a tablespoonish of water). Place in casserole pan, top with mashed potatoes. Cover. Bake at 375 about 5 min until bubbly.


Not a terribly impressive meal, but we thought it was tasty :)

1 comment:

  1. You saved dinner! I came home from a very very long day at work and had nothing for dinner, and I opened the blog up and voila!

    It was great! We also did pinto and kidney beans and it was yummy. Nice comfort food, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete