Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Baked Oatmeal

Baked Oatmeal

1/2 C. Applesauce
1/2 C. Sugar
2 Eggs
1 C. Milk
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 T. Baking Powder
3 C. Quick Oats (I used regular not quick and it turned out fine)
1/2 C. Raisins (optional) I didn't add raisins. But craisins might be really nice?!
2 T. Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon

Mix applesauce and sugar together. Add eggs, milk, salt, baking powder and oatmeal. Pour into a greased 8x8 pan or similar sized casserole dish. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. You can either make this in the morning and bake it right away or make it the night before and refrigerate it overnight. Serves 6-8.

I forgot the brown sugar/cinnamon topping and it still tasted really good. Not too sweet at all. I just wanted to try something new for breakfast, and break into a grain other than wheat. I HATE to eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, but I liked this. We put some apple pie filling that I had canned on top and it was yummy. I know that adds sugar, but I feel less guilty when it's something homemade like that.

Ash opted for apples cooked on top, and I think that really any sort of fruit, dried or otherwise would taste nice in this.

Thanks Everyone!

Katie

1 comment:

  1. Did I ever tell you Katie that I have made this at least 5 times since you shared it? It's become my "I don't have time," breakfast recipe. Obviously because of that I don't make it fancy usually. I have found that I like it just how it is only with no topping or raisins and cinnamon stirred in to the actual recipe. I also like them thinner rather than thick so I cook it in the next size up of pan.

    Anyway, thanks so much for this one. It's been a life saver!

    ReplyDelete