Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Eggplant Pomodoro

We love eggplant. Also, it felt like one eggplant went a long way (but then again it is just Cal and I, but we would have it for dinner and then we both take it for lunch the next day) but I think it makes a large pan full of these, so that is pretty good for one eggplant.

I got this recipe from rookie cookie and then switched it up to lower some calories since one cup mayonnaise seems a bit much to me.

Egg Plant Pomodoro
1 Egg plant sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds ( I do mine a bit thinner)
Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion ( I just use whatever kind I have on hand), chopped
5 roma tomatos, diced ( I have also used canned tomatos, works great too. I just like to shy away from those if they have any high fructose corn syrup in them. Some canned tomato stuff does, and some doesn't)
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp oregano
1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (depending on how hot you like)
fat free or light sour cream
croutons (pulsed in a food processor) or panko, or stuffing (pulsed in a food processor) or whole wheat bread, seasoned, (pulsed in a food processor)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
In a skillet over medium heat, heat a small amount of olive oil. Add onions and garlic and saute. Add tomatos, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatos ar broken down, about 10 mins.

Place sour cream in a bowl (I just use however much I need) and in a seperate bowl pour your 'crumbs'.

Dip the sliced eggplant in the sour cream and then into bread crumbs. (I don't dip. I just brush on with a...baking brush...is that what they are called? I have no idea. But I like to use as little sour cream as possible so I like to just brush enough on for the crumbs to stick.

[She says to drizzle olive oil on the eggplant rounds, I don't do this step either. I have done it and maybe i just don't know how to drizzle, but it was just too much.]

Bake for 45 mins, flipping half way through.

Serve the eggplant with the tomato sauce over the top.


--Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment