Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Not Just Chick Food

This week we tried Rookie Cookie's Thai Veggie Wraps. She suggested they would make for an excellent lunch with the girlfriends, (and they would) but my husband loved them. We made a few alterations and really liked them so I thought I'd share.

Sauce:
1/4 c. peanut butter
2 Tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
2 Tbsp. honey
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, (I used evoo)
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 1/2 t. salt.......(Note: I actually completely omitted this. We don't eat very much salt, and I thought that it looked like a bit much when there was already soy sauce in the recipe that contains 1160 mg sodium in 1 Tbsp.)
1/2 t. cayenne pepper
pinch crushed red pepper

Combine the above and whisk until smooth. Set aside.

Veggies:
Combine the following:
1 can garbanzos, (I heated mine a bit)
1 bag coleslaw mix
1 bunch cilantro, chopped, (I only did maybe 1/4 c. And that's a generous estimate. My man don't like cilantro.)
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 cucumber, peeled and diced
1 c. unsalted peanuts

Combine the veggies and the sauce. Wrap, and viola! A lovely light spring-time dinner. Now, my husband thought the sauce was so good that he said he would drink it with a straw, but I thought it was a might spicy for the kiddos, (and the leftovers seemed to get even spicier) so I wrapped theirs prior to adding the sauce. Also, I didn't add the peanuts to the mix, I just put them on each wrap, cause they'll get soggy leftover.

Another note....if you check out Rookie's original recipe, you'll notice that she used edamame instead of garbanzo beans, but I have issues with all products soy since watching The World According to Monsanto. Just google that title and you can watch it for free online if you wish....Ash, this was the one that really freaked me out. Although be prepared for a bit of a snoozer! I thought my beloved garbanzos were a nice substitute. Do what you will!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I am so glad that you tried this first! I wanted to do it but was scared- and this week I have lacked time to be adventurous. Next week maybe? I bet I'll substitute with garbanzos too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete