Friday, March 5, 2010

Pasta Fagiole

This looks incredibly similar to the Savory Bean and Spinach Soup that I already posted but we think it has it's own unique taste and place in the world. This is a recipe that I made as an adaptation of others that I have seen. Strictly speaking authentic Italian Pasta Fagiole does not have chopped spinach in it, but I think the flavor works so well with it that I couldn't resist tossing some in. This is the soup I run to when I have been eating crappy and just want to eat something that will make me feel good again. This would make an excellent home-from-a-long car-trip meal.


Pasta Fagiole

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped finely
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1 seeded and minced jalepeno (if in a pinch you can substitute 1 can diced green chilies but it's doesn't pack quite the same punch)
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 can great northern (white) beans, drained and rinsed
3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
4-6 oz whole wheat macaroni, uncooked
A few handfuls of fresh spinach, chopped
kosher salt
ground black pepper
chopped fresh or dried parsley
shredded parmesan cheese (optional)

Saute onions in oil over med heat 3-4 min. Add garlic and jalepeno and cook 4-5 min. Stir in tomato, beans and broth. Break up tomatoes with your spoon while cooking to be more 'bite size'. Bring to boil. Add pasta, reduce heat and simmer, covered stirring periodically. When pasta is nearly through cooking add spinach and spices and cook until wilted and pasta is cooked. Serve immediately with parmesan if using.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! This looks oh so good and I am loving the recipes that are chock full of ingredients that we always have on hand! whoot whoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I forgot to put in the instructions that you have to break up the tomatoes while you cook them. That probably would have been pretty obvious if you started to make it... who wants an entire slice of stewed tomato in a bite?!? Yuck. K I'm changing the instructions now.

    ps- I already had the picture for this. I'm not getting fancy all the sudden.

    ReplyDelete